barely breathing

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I found this story on a website that I read daily. Some how I always seem to connect with what she writes.

An elderly Cherokee Native American was teaching his grandchildren aboutlife.....He said to them,

"A fight is going on inside me. It is a terrible fight,and it is between two wolves. One wolf is evil - he is fear, anger, envy,sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity,humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity,truth,compassion and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too."

His grandchildren thought about this for a minute, and then one child asked, "Which wolf will win, Grandfather?"

The old Cherokee replied softly , "The one you feed."


This is so true for me right now. I feel like there is a fight going on inside of me. And in truth I've been feeding the evil one with thoughts and fear. I'm to the point of feeling constricted. I wish that I could just let go of these feelings. Let go of this fear. I want to stop feeding the evil one and start beliving in the good one. I suppose that will only happen when I'm ready to let go.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi.
It's late here, but I sit with similar feelings.
Have done many times.
I'm turning 57 on Saturday and have been at times struggling with that choice of wolves many years - irony: I've been a psychotherapist for 33 years...
It's the small choices I find... they make the first difference that starts better stuff happening - getting a cup of tea, straightening my back in my chair - reading someone else's blog and feeling our humanity - or sometimes posting a blognote back to a person I do not know but yet still send my sense of godspeed...
Take care... barry